Social Work and Social Policy
The aim of our Social Work and Social Policy master's programme is to provide extensive knowledge and skills in social work and social policy. Choosing the focus on social work or social policy within the framework of the curriculum, the knowledge and skills of the graduates comply with requirements set in the professional standard of social workers and the graduates are entitled to work in positions requiring in different fields of social work and socio-policy. The curriculum complies with the requirements of level 7 of the Estonian professional standard of social workers. Passing the master study offers an opportunity to study on the doctoral level.
Standard duration: 2 years
Languages of instruction: Estonian
Other necessary languages: English
Study form: block mode study (lectures from thursday to sunday on every other week)
Name of degree awarded: Master of Arts in Social Sciences (Social Work and Social Policy)
1) knows main theoretical approaches to social work and social policy, is able to compare these and employ in every-day work;
2) possesses main methods of collecting and analyzing social science data and knows how to use these in practice;
3) knows quality standards of social science research, is able to evaluate and use them;
4) knows social work and social policy values and acts according to professional ethical code;
5) evaluates social processes critically-analytically;
6) knows principles, values and goals of social work established by global social work definition and acts accordingly;
7) can analyze critical situations and react professionally;
8) can plan and conduct target group specific intervention;
9) knows the services of social, educational and health system and if necessary can develop and market social services;
10) understands and introduces the role of social work and social policy in society;
11) is aware of his/her role and responsibility as a developer of society;
12) can work in a team with the other professionals;
13) is able to supervise persons in the field of social work and social policy;
14) is reflexive and able critically evaluate his/her activities.
In order to apply for master's studies on this programme the applicant needs to have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent level of education and at least B1 level proficiency in Estonian language. There are no prerequisite courses but applicants must show their existing knowledge and experience in the field in the entrance examination. The entrance exam is an interview with the applicant.
For more information please contact the programme director Merle Linno at merle.linno [ät] ut.ee.